May is finally here, and for us that means the first motorycle camping trip of the riding season. Somtimes we will go in April, for the first STOC (ST Owners Club) event, sometimes not (depending on how low the mercury dips at night). But May is definitely a go for packing up the bike and heading out to one of the motorcycle only campgrounds we have frequented through the years. Following is a list of our favorites:
- TWO Wheels of Suches – Suches, GA: Formerly Two Wheels Only, now under new ownership and completely revamped. Haven’t been to the new TWO yet, but next weekend is looking good for a trip to the North Georgia mountains for the first campout of the season.
- High Valley Cabins & Camping – Suches, GA: Right up the road from TWO, I was introduced to this unique campground at a STOC event last April. Motorcycle, car and fly-in camping make this a very interesting destination. Just be careful where you pitch your tent!
- Willville Motorcycle Campground – Meadows of Dan, VA: a super, no frills moto only campground right off the Blue Ridge Parkway, smack in the middle of the best motorcycling roads in Virginia.
- Hunts Lodge Motorcycle Campground – Tellico Plains, TN: a great destination in Tellico or through travel westward.
- Cherohola Mountain Trails Campground – Tellico Plains, TN: newly re-opened and under new ownership, this large, beautiful campground is found amidst beautiful roads in northeast TN. A great basecamp to explore this area from.
- Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground – Cruso, NC: one of the oldest moto campgrounds, founded way back sometime in the 1980’s. Anyone remember that decade? A favorite of ours and a mere 90 miles from home, we camp here for a quick weekend getaway.
- High Country Motorcycle Campground – Ferguson, NC: just 6 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway and a stones throw to twisty NC Hwy 268, this is a great “hidden campground” to use as basecamp.
- Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge – Stecoah, NC: the most upscale of the campgrounds, the lodge and cabins here are second to none. Food served in the dining hall is superb, and the super motorcycling roads Cherohola Skyway and Tail of the Dragon are right out the front door. We camp here more than any other campground listed.
So try some of these out, they are all excellent. We try to get in at least one moto camp weekend a month, which allows us to go through most of the list each year. All are situated along fantastic motorcycling roads.
Cafe Betty Update: The build on Roo’s Suzuki TU250 transformation to Cafe Betty is going nicely. We are close to posting pictures of Cafe Betty Touring and Cafe Racer Betty. We’ll let you know when pics are up on the Cafe Betty page.
Ride smart, Stay Vertical
Bob & Roo